We are excited to announce an instrumental program for next year’s 5th-grade students! All currently enrolled 4th-grade students can apply now to participate in free band or orchestra classes next year. These introductory classes are an expansion of our popular summer program to share musical opportunities with all VPS 5th-graders.
Registration information is linked below. The deadline to register is April 27.
- All VPS current 4th-grade students are invited to participate in band or orchestra next year as 5th-graders (2018-19).
- This yearlong instrumental program is offered free of charge to VPS students.
- Students can choose from band (trumpet, trombone, clarinet, flute) or orchestra (violin, viola, cello).
- Classes, taught by VPS teachers, will be held twice a week from 7:10 until 8 a.m., beginning in mid-September through the end of June.
- Class locations are Discovery, Gaiser, McLoughlin and Thomas Jefferson middle schools.
- Transportation will be provided to the middle school class locations. After class, all students will be transported to their elementary schools before school starts.
- Interested students and parents must apply by April 27, 2018, using the form linked below.
- Students will have the opportunity to select the instrument of their choice at the September meeting, however, it is important to remember that a balance of all instruments is necessary for a true band/orchestra experience.
- Fill out the class request and completed and signed medical release and consent form. Return the forms by April 27, 2018, to your fourth-grade teacher or mail to Ann Medellin/Barb Nelson, Visual and Performing Arts at JPC, 2901 Falk Rd., Vancouver, WA 98661.
- Attend an important parent/student information meeting on Monday, May 7, 2018, at the Vancouver School of Arts and Academics, Royal Durst Auditorium, 3101 Main Street, Vancouver, WA 98663 6:30 to 7:30 p.m.
- Students will be contacted by the site instructor in late August or early September about enrollment.
- A second meeting in September with site instructors will cover instruments, method books, accessories and expectations of the program. The date of the meeting will be set by the site instructor and emailed to registered students/parents.
Questions? Please email Ann Medellin.