Five employees were selected for the December 2016 Excellence Award recognition. They were honored at the Dec. 13 school board meeting. Pictured above from left to right are:
- Gene Camacho, building operator, Walnut Grove Elementary
- Jennifer Halleck, facilities planner, facilities planning department
- Kristine Baylous, reading intervention specialist, Salmon Creek Elementary
- Nadine Miller, literacy facilitator, Salmon Creek Elementary
- Amanda Harding, Family-Community Resource Center coordinator, Walnut Grove Elementary
The Excellence Award is given to two to four employees and/or small teams from October to May each school year. Nominations are open to staff, students, parents and community members. Nominees are selected for recognition by a committee of their peers.
From a desk in the hallway due to lack of available space for a proper Family-Community Resource Center, Amanda works hard to find out what Walnut Grove Elementary students and the community need, whether it’s food, clothing, support or other resources. She then endeavors to provide for those needs or connect students and families with the appropriate organizations. But that’s not the extent of Amanda’s work. She also helps teachers organize learning nights that involve entire families in students’ educations. Her efforts remove barriers to learning and help keep kids in school. All this from a desk in the hallway!
Congratulations to these staff members! They join the many VPS employees who have received Excellence Awards since 2007.