VPS preschool program
A free program for children living near specific VPS schools
What: A half-day program three days per week. The program provides activities to increase skills needed for school and get ready for kindergarten.
Who: Children who are 4-years-old. There is a 14 student limit for each session. Children must live in the boundary of a Title 1 designated school (see list).
When: Wednesdays through Fridays, morning or afternoon sessions. Note: The number of students who apply will determine final program options.
- Mornings: 9 a.m.–11:20 a.m.
- Afternoons: 12:15 p.m.–2:35 p.m.
- Snack of juice and crackers are provided.
- Full-year commitment is essential to the success of the program.
- Transportation is not provided.
- Complete and submit an application for your child. Applications are available to students residing in the boundaries of designated Title 1 elementary schools. You may pick up an application at the listed Title 1 schools*.
*Please note that the Title 1 status of a specific school could change for the following school year.
- Applications must be submitted to any Title I designated school office by 3 p.m. on the due date. Applications received after this date and time will be added to a wait list.
- If there are more than 28 applicants, eligible students will be selected through a tiered lottery process. The lottery will consist of the following two tiers:
Lottery #1: Eligible students residing within the boundaries of King Elementary School.
Lottery #2: Eligible students residing within the boundaries of other Title I elementary schools.
A lottery drawing will occur at 3:30 p.m. on May 26, 2017, at King Elementary School. All applicants will be notified of the lottery drawing outcome. Those students not selected through the lottery drawing will be notified and placed on a waiting list. Those on the waiting list will be contacted if and when space opens up in the program.
VPS preschool program application–Español
Title 1 elementary schools
- Fruit Valley
- Hazel Dell
- Walnut Grove
Columbia River Preschool
A preschool program open to everyone
What: This program is part of the Child Development Career and Technical Education classes at Columbia River High School. High school students at River experience hands-on learning while working with 3- to 5-year-old children. Under the supervision of a certified teacher, the students do the planning and implementing of age- and skill-appropriate projects and activities. Each day the preschoolers are offered two art projects, circle time, one-on-one reading time, free play, snacks and physical activity in the gym or outside. Transportation is not provided.
Who: All 3- to 4-year-olds (open to anyone; first-come, first-served). Total class size is 18 children.
When: Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays: 9:30 a.m to 11:20 a.m.
Cost: $90 per semester