Parent participation in regular, two-way, meaningful communication involving student academic learning and other school activities contributes to helping students achieve high academic standards.
To support a partnership among the school, parents and the community, each district and school assisted by Title I, Part A funds must:
1. Provide assistance to parents of children served by the school or district in understanding topics such as state academic standards, local assessments, monitoring a child’s progress and the requirements of Title I, Part A.
2. Provide materials and training to help to work with their children to improve academic achievement.
3. Educate teachers, pupil services personnel, principals and other staff, with the assistance of parents, in the value and utility of parent contributions.
4. Coordinate and integrated parent involvement programs and activities with other school and community resources (example: school’s parent resource centers, Head Start).
5. Ensure that information related to school and parent programs, meetings and other activities are in a format and, to the extent practical, in a language parents can understand.
6. Provide reasonable support for parent involvement activities.
VPS has a parent involvement policy (P6410) and parent involvement regulation (R6410). The policy and regulation also can be picked up at the district office or any Title I school’s office.