Students from all over Vancouver Public Schools represented the district and their individual schools at the 2016 spring state championships. Congratulations to all the participants!
The following students placed in the top 10:
Girls’ 4A track
- Madison Lord, Skyview High School, fourth in high jump
- Krystal Kaufman, Skyview, fifth in 800-meter run
- Kaufman, Presley Timmons, Taylor Irwin and Molly Beaman, Skyview, sixth in 4×400-meter relay
- Hannah Shirley, Skyview, seventh in pole vault
- Ellen Burbank, Skyview, ninth in 3,200-meter run
Skyview’s girls’ track head coach is Ron Heidenreich.
Boys’ 4A track
- Mason Scheidel, Skyview High School, first in 800-meter run
- Connor Jensen, Skyview, fifth in shot put
- Zeke Oien, Jefferson Kiyasu, Scheidel and Jack Thomas, Skyview, fifth in 4×400-meter relay
- Scheidel, sixth in the 1,600-meter run
- Brad Decker, Skyview, 8th in javelin throw
- Skyview also placed 10th overall as team.
Skyview’s boys’ track head coach is Julian Williams.
Girls’ 3A track
- Grayson Burke, Columbia River High School, fifth, 200-meter dash
- Yaiydenn Lopez-Perez, River, fifth, discus
- Burke, River, sixth, 100-meter dash
- Sarah Ellis, River, seventh, pole vault
- Tiarra Ringold, River, seventh, triple jump
- Lopez-Perez, eighth, shot put
- Ringold, eighth, long jump
Columbia River’s girl’s track head coach is Michelle Buss.
Boys’ 3A track
- Mason Schell, Columbia River High School, 10th, shot put
Columbia River’s boys’ track head coach is Art Sandison.
Girls’ 2A track
- Erykah Weems, Hudson’s Bay High School, first in both the 100-meter hurdles and 300-meter hurdles
Hudson’s Bay’s girls’ track head coach is Phoebe Miletich.
Boys’ 2A track
- Malik Lewis, competing for Hudson’s Bay High School, ninth, high jump
Hudson’s Bay’s boys’ track head coach is Tom Petersen.
Spencer Tibbits, playing for Fort Vancouver High School, won the boys’ 3A state golf championship. This was Tibbits’ second state title. He first won as a freshman two years ago. Fort Vancouver’s golf coach is Mike Witkowski.
Columbia River High School’s baseball team made it to the quarterfinals of the 3A state tournament. Varsity team members include Royce Cone, Shawn Craig, Taylor Easterly, Josh Ebert, Sterling Greer, Sam Jacobs, Isaiah James, Koben Jamison, Andrew Loisel, Daren Manheimer, Gavin Manheimer, Dakota Mason, Corey McArthur, Shane McCarroll, Alex McGarry, Garrett McKee, Paul Meister, Nick Nygard, Brian Rice and Trey Rogers. Stephen Donohue is the head coach.
In boys’ 3A competition, the Columbia River High School team reached the elite eight. River’s head coach is Filomon Afenegus. The varsity team includes Ethan Adams, Spencer Baird, Riley Benson, Candler Bolte, Conner Brower, Reilly Burke, Adam Castellani-Kelsay, Ryan Connop, Lincoln Corkill, Alfonso De La Paz, Adam Dejesus, Rafiq Dejesus, Johnny Garcia, Alfonso Gonzalez, David Gonzalez, Carl Johnson, Ryan King, Logan Knudsen, Magnus Kofoed, Jack Kolosvary, Api Kosaris, Alex Nielsen, Sam Ritmeester-Loy and Ian Rose.
Columbia River High School advanced to the quarterfinals of the 3A state tournament. The varsity team includes Cassie Baldino, Gabbi Collins, Teaghan Cowles, Hanna Dyer, Chase Eisenhauer, Megan Figgins, Cassie Grigg, Andrea Hoey, Aubree Jones, Emma Klundt, Izzy Parkin, Jadyn Schofield and Emma Tucker. The head coach is Mindy Williams Cleela.
Columbia River High School’s Owen Carlson and Nathan Crary placed eighth in the 3A boys’ doubles. Jim Sevall is their head coach.