We are excited to announce an instrumental program for all incoming fifth-grade students! All currently enrolled fifth-grade students can apply now to participate in free band or orchestra classes this year. These introductory classes are an expansion of our popular summer program to share musical opportunities with all VPS fifth-graders.
Registration information is linked below. The deadline to register is Sept. 14.
- All current VPS fifth-grade students are invited to participate in band or orchestra this year (2018-19).
- This yearlong instrumental program is offered free of charge to VPS students.
- Students can choose from band (trumpet, trombone, clarinet, flute) or orchestra (violin, viola, cello).
- Classes, taught by VPS teachers, will be held twice per week from 7:10 a.m. to 8 a.m., beginning in mid-September through June 4.
- Class locations are Alki, Discovery, Gaiser, Jason Lee, McLoughlin and Thomas Jefferson middle schools.
- Transportation will be provided to the middle school class locations. After class, all students will be transported to their elementary schools before school starts.
- Interested students and parents must apply by Sept. 14, 2018, using the form linked below.
- Students will have the opportunity to select the instrument of their choice at the September meeting; however, it is important to remember that a balance of all instruments is necessary for a true band/orchestra experience.
- Fill out the class request and completed and signed medical release and consent form. Return the forms by Sept. 14, 2018, to your fifth-grade teacher or mail it to Ann Medellin/Barb Nelson, Visual and Performing Arts at JPC, 2901 Falk Rd., Vancouver, WA 98661.
- Attend an important parent/student information meeting in September. Date to be announced and emailed by the site teacher.
- Students will be contacted by the site instructor about enrollment.
- The meeting in September with site instructors will cover instruments, method books, accessories and expectations of the program. The date of the meeting will be set by the site instructor and emailed to registered students/parents.
- If you pre-registered in the spring, you do not need to reapply.
Questions? Please email Ann Medellin.