First Steps Kindergarten is a new program at Ogden Elementary that allows kids to begin full-day kindergarten early. Students will complete a half year of kindergarten beginning in January 2020 and complete a full year of kindergarten during the 2020–2021 school.
First Steps is a time for children to explore and begin to find their place within a new environment as they start their transition to school. They develop critical social and academic skills that launch them toward success.
Who is eligible
Students who meet the following criteria:
- Will be 5 years old by Aug. 31, 2020
- Have not been to preschool or another early learning environment
- Live within Vancouver Public Schools’ boundaries
- Students who live within the boundaries of Ogden Elementary will receive priority.
Please complete the following form:
First Steps Kindergarten is a free, full-day kindergarten experience designed for children who will be at least 5 years old by Aug. 31, 2020. Eligible children will not have attended preschool or another early learning environment and would benefit from additional help transitioning to school.
Class will begin on Jan. 27, 2020, and end on the last day of school. It will resume with the start of the 2020–2021 school year.
The program will be located at Ogden Elementary School. All families who live within Vancouver Public Schools’ boundaries are welcome to apply, even if Ogden is not their neighborhood school. Students who live within Ogden’s boundaries will receive priority.
Transportation is provided only for students who live within the boundaries of Ogden Elementary School.
A certificated teacher and a paraeducator will teach the class.
Class size is limited to 19 students.
No. Students will complete a full year of kindergarten during the 2020-21 school year and start first grade in fall 2021.
1. Attend one of three informational meetings at the Bates Center for Educational Leadership, 2921 Falk Rd.
- Wednesday, Nov. 13, 2019, 5 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Tuesday, Nov. 19, 2019, 5 p.m. to 6 p.m.
- Monday, Dec. 2, 2019, 10 a.m. to 11 a.m.
2. Complete the online form by Dec. 6, 2019, at 4 p.m.
3. Be contacted by Dec. 9 for a screening appointment.
4. Attend a screening appointment sometime between Dec. 10 and Dec. 19 (location to be determined). Appointments usually last about 15 minutes.
5. Get notified of placement no later than Thursday, Jan. 23.
6. Attend a parent orientation Friday, Jan. 24, at Ogden Elementary. Time to be announced.
7. Child begins First Steps Kindergarten on Monday, Jan. 27, 2020.
A member of the early learning team will contact parents to make an appointment for a 10- to 15-minute screening that will look at the child’s:
- Developing literacy and math skills
- Motor skills
- Visual and hearing skills
- Social-emotional development
- Language development
A decision will be mailed within 10 days of the screening date.