From left: Kevin Erickson, Faith Grisham and Piper Rylander
Student-athletes from around the district earned top 10 honors at state tournaments and meets this spring.
Faith Grisham, a senior at Columbia River High School, won the 2A girls’ singles championship. River’s tennis team also brought home the state championship, tying for first place with Sequim. Team members are Grisham, Piper Rylander, Zoey Mikalatos, Truly Rylander, Ari Domniti, Grace Rudi, Maddie Sheron, Chloe Opdahl, Phoenix Bennett and Emily Dahlen. Head coach is Kevin Erickson.
Also from River, Nate Kessi and Wilson Keller secured sixth place in the 2A boys’ doubles championship. Jim Sevall is their coach.
In 4A competition, Skyview High School’s Jonathan Hutley finished in fifth place in the boys’ singles championship. Skyview, coached by Jay Gowen, was seventh as a team.
Columbia River High School’s boys’ and girls’ teams both finished in the top 10 of their respective 2A tournaments. Naomi Phelps, Karlyn Gomez and Madeline Kim led River’s girls’ team to fifth place. River’s boys’ team was sixth, with the efforts of Isaiah Lamont, Brady Yackley and Ryan Snyder. David Long and Bob Nelson are the coaches.
The boys’ team from Columbia River High School capped its season with a second place in the 2A state tournament. The varsity team includes Alex Ashmore, Ryan Brown, Jake Connop, Marcos Diaz, Aaron Espinosa, Gabriel Guzman, Ian Hahn, Trey Johnson, Jackson Kleier, Sideris Kosaris, Daniel Kruzhkov, David Lockwood, Cade Lujan, Marc Miranda, Miles Miranda, Bode Ostlund, Logan Simmons, Greer Snellman, Evan Underland, Julian Villa-Salas, Jacob Warthen and Alex Wiser. Filomon Afenegus is the head coach.
Skyview High School’s baseball team was fourth at the 4A state tournament. Varsity players include Braden Aspon, Cooper Barnum, Micah Baylous, Lowell Dunmire, Cade Filburn, Joe Gray, Noah Guyette, Tyler Howard, Braydon Kennedy, Liam Kerr, Derek Lewis, Alex Miller, Mikey Miller, Xander Morrison, Brandon Mukensnabl, Titus Oien, Kyle Olson, Ryan Pitts, Cade Reitzenstein and Michael Stromberg. Seth Johnson is the varsity coach.
Track and field
Fort Vancouver High School (3A state meet)
- Lincoln Glick was second in discus and fifth in the 100-meter ambulatory race.
- Emily Phelps was fourth in the girls’ 3,200-meter run and eighth in the 1,600-meter run.
- Arlisa Hinton and Dennis Carline are their coaches.
Hudson’s Bay High School (3A state meet)
- Jaden Lewis finished in eighth place in the boys’ high jump. Tom Petersen is his coach.
Skyview High School (4A state meet)
- Casey Murray, Gavin Baskette, Thomas Bieniewicz and Eric Prihodiko placed seventh in the boys’ 4 x 100-meter relay. John Skoog is the varsity coach.
Columbia River High School (2A state meet)
- Levi Williams won the boys’ pole vault competition.
- Grace Gordon took second in the girls’ pole vault.
- Giovanna Rhoads was second in the girls’ high jump and triple jump, as well as third in the long jump.
- Lucy Ianello was fourth in the girls’ 800-meter run.
- Isaac Bibb-O’Neil earned fifth in the boys’ discus throw.
- Reid Carlson was 10th in the javelin throw.
- River’s girls’ team was fifth overall in the 2A competition.
- Michelle Buss and Art Sandison are the coaches.