It’s an exciting time to be an Ogden cougar or live near the school! Plans for the new Ogden have been finalized, with input from the staff, students, parents and community members. The past year has been devoted to gathering input and feedback and planning the future.
The new two-story Ogden design fulfills the key requirements and themes expressed by those closest to the school. Highlights include:
- Commons with a platform for performances and dining
- Multi-purpose staircase adjacent to the commons that can be used for seating or as a gathering space for smaller groups
- Dedicated Family-Community Resource Center that is secure, yet accessible without entering the main part of the building and includes a restroom
- Clusters of five classrooms that share studios and secure outdoor spaces for collaboration; abundant natural light
- Second-story media center, which overlooks the commons and platform, with breakout spaces for collaboration, small group learning and watching performances below
- Ground-level secure courtyards/natural spaces that feature stormwater elements, native plants, planter boxes, butterfly garden and space for
- Courtyard off of the commons that allows students to eat meals indoors or outside
- Project deck for second-floor access to outdoor learning
- Variety of spaces around school for students to learn and play, with equipment, covered areas and natural areas, as well as an outdoor amphitheater
- Environment that welcomes students of all skills and abilities
- Existing soccer and baseball fields will be preserved.
- Dedicated art room and spaces for hands-on learning, creation and technical projects
- Project spaces and the art room accessible to one of the school’s secure outdoor courtyards
- Dedicated fitness space with access to outdoor play area and a dedicated dance room, which opens to the outdoor amphitheater
- Ample restrooms for students, staff and families
- Secure entrances
- Kitchens that allow students to see how food is being prepared
- Class-size reductions at the kindergarten through third-grade levels, per state requirements
While the new Ogden will be placed on the same parcel of land, the site of the new building will be farther northeast than the current school. The new school will be accessible from 86th Avenue. Two entry points will assist the flow of traffic, with one designed for buses and staff parking and one designed for parent pickup/dropoff and visitor parking.
Construction on the new school likely will begin this summer, with a projected opening in fall 2019. The existing building won’t be torn down immediately, however. It will host students from King Elementary while their school is being rebuilt.
Take a tour inside the new school
Note: While the design plans are final, not every single element depicted in this video is confirmed.