A free program for 4-year-olds who live near specific VPS schools
What: A half-day program three days per week. The program provides activities to increase skills needed for school and get ready for kindergarten.
Who: Children who are 4-years-old. There is a 14 student limit for each session. Children must live in the boundary of a Title 1 designated school:
- Fruit Valley
- Hazel Dell
- Walnut Grove
When: Wednesdays through Fridays, morning or afternoon sessions. Note: The number of students who apply will determine final program options.
- Mornings: 8:45 a.m.–11:10 a.m.
- Afternoons: 12:10 p.m.–2:35 p.m.
Where: Martin Luther King Jr. Elementary School, 8100 NE 28th St., Vancouver, WA 98661
- Snack of juice and crackers are provided.
- Full-year commitment is essential to the success of the program.
- Transportation will be provided to homeless preschool students who are enrolled in a VPS preschool program.
- Complete and submit an application for your child. Applications are available to students residing in the boundaries of designated Title 1 elementary schools. You may download an application here.
*Please note that the Title 1 status of a specific school could change for the following school year.
- Application must be submitted by mail to: VPS Preschool Program, Curriculum and Instruction Department, 2901 Falk Road, Vancouver, WA 98661. Applications can also be emailed to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications received after this date and time will be added to a wait list.
- If there are more than 28 applicants, eligible students will be selected through a tiered lottery process. The lottery will consist of the following two tiers:
Lottery #1: Eligible students residing within the boundaries of King Elementary School.
Lottery #2: Eligible students residing within the boundaries of other Title I elementary schools.
A lottery drawing will occur at 3 p.m. on June 3, 2020, at King Elementary School. All applicants will be notified by email of the lottery drawing outcome. For lottery results, families may contact King elementary school on Thursday, June 4th via email at email@example.com or 360-313-2200. Those students not selected through the lottery drawing will be notified and placed on a waiting list. Those on the waiting list will be contacted if and when space opens up in the program.
The application period closed on June 3, 2020 for the half-day preschool program located at Martin Luther King Jr Elementary School.
VPS preschool program application–Español
For 3- and 4-year-olds
What: A free half-day inclusive preschool program for typically developing children and children who have special needs ages 3-4. There are two teachers (one general education teacher and one special education teacher) and two paraeducators in each classroom. Teachers will promote active, engaging learning and social interaction among students of all abilities. The goal is for all students to achieve kindergarten-readiness skills.
Who: Children who will be 3- or 4-years-old by Aug. 31 of the current year. Children must live in the boundary of one of the following schools:
- Fruit Valley
- Hazel Dell
- Walnut Grove
When: Tuesdays through Fridays, morning or afternoon session
- Morning: 8:10 a.m.–10:40 a.m.
- Afternoon: 12:10 p.m.–2:40 p.m.
Where: Ogden Elementary School, 3200 NE 86th Ave., Vancouver, WA 98662
- Transportation is not provided.
- Apply online.
- Notification of acceptance will be sent after the application closes.
- If there are more applicants than available spaces, a waitlist will be created.
Columbia River preschool
A preschool program open to everyone
What: This program is part of the child development classes at Columbia River High School. High school students at River experience hands-on learning while working with young children. Under the supervision of a certified teacher, the students do the planning and implementing of age- and skill-appropriate projects and activities. Each day the preschoolers are offered two art projects, circle time, one-on-one reading time, free play, snacks and physical activity in the gym or outside. Transportation is not provided.
Who: All 3- to 4-year-olds (open to anyone; first-come, first-served). Total class size is 18 children.
When: Tuesdays, Wednesdays and Thursdays: 9:30 a.m to 11:20 a.m.
Cost: $90 per semester