The Excellence Award recognizes individual employees and small teams (three people maximum) for creating a positive, caring and productive school environment through exceptional effort, dedication or performance in their areas of responsibility. For example, that person might have implemented a successful teaching strategy, provided extra support for fellow staff members or helped a student overcome extreme difficulties. Any colleague, student, parent or community member may submit a nomination.
All nominations will go through a review by the nominee’s supervisor and the district’s human resources department. Approved nominations also will be reviewed and selected by the Excellence Award committee, comprised of staff members from across the district.
Nominations are considered for two months. Five employees or small teams (three people maximum) are recognized between October and May of each school year.
- Are approved by their supervisors and the district’s HR department
- Have been employed by the district more than 1.5 years
- Have not received the award before (previous Excellence Award winners are ineligible to receive the award a second time)
- Are not retired and will not be retired at the time of their recognition
- Are not short-term substitutes
- Are not contracted employees
- Tell a story. Focus on a few compelling details, and make the nominee’s personality shine. Is she quick with a joke? Does he bring treats for his colleagues on the first and last days of school? Do his students often return to the school to thank him for helping them succeed? Those things matter.
- Be specific. Give examples of notable things the employee has done. Rather than writing, “S/he goes above and beyond,” tell about the time she stayed late after school to help a struggling student, or the time he assembled new equipment for a colleague without even being asked. You don’t have to know all the details of the employee’s career, but you can be detailed about how he or she helps others.
- Ask others to nominate the employee, too. A group effort can sometimes make a good impression on the selection committee. However, one strong nomination can clinch an award.
Nominees who pass the vetting process are sent to the selection committee for review. The selection committee assesses nominees’ positive and caring attributes, contributions to a productive work environment, exceptional effort, dedication and performance.
The committee votes monthly from October to May. The four individuals or small teams with the most votes receive the award.
Please fill out the following form completely.