Exploring opportunities and planning for the future
The purpose of the High School and Beyond Plan is to provide students with an opportunity to explore their interests and abilities; select coursework that will best prepare them for their post-secondary goals; and demonstrate preparation for college, careers and life.
In alignment with the mission of Vancouver Public Schools, and Washington state’s graduation requirements, the High School and Beyond Plan is a requirement for all graduates and includes five components.
- The activities in Xello encourage students to explore their learning styles, abilities and career and education interests; set goals relative to their future; and compile school and community involvement throughout sixth through 12th grades in an electronic portfolio.
- The course planner in Xello allows students to develop a four-year plan of high school courses aligned with their career and post-secondary plans and is the vehicle by which students will forecast for next year’s classes. The plan is developed in eighth grade and reviewed annually by students in cooperation with counselors, career specialists and parents.
- The resume will prepare students for a successful transition to work and other post-high school opportunities.
- The budget will be completed as part of a financial literacy unit of instruction in the classroom designed to increase awareness of important financial information and skill-building for life-readiness.
- To incorporate the family connection, students will be given the opportunity to share the components of their High School and Beyond Plan annually with parents as part of the student-led conferences.