Schools will be closed Friday, Aug. 31, 2018, due to the continuing teachers’ union strike.
During the strike:
- Family-community resource coordinators will host food pantries and provide resources to families at the following locations on Aug. 31:
- 10:30 a.m. Marshall Center (1009 E. McLoughlin Blvd.)
- 11 a.m. Parc Central (2600 T St.)
- 12 noon: Lincoln Townhouses (4718 NE Hazel Dell Ave.)
- 1 p.m. Carter Park (3300 Columbia St.)
- 2 p.m. Lakeside Mobile Estates (6610 NW Whitney Rd.)
- Find non-district food pantries in Clark County.
- Sports practices will continue as scheduled.
- Southwest Washington Child Care Consortium centers at Franklin Elementary and Fruit Valley Community Learning Center are operating as normal. Lincoln Elementary school-age programs and ECEAP are closed. The Hough Elementary school-age child care program is closed, but the Hough Early Learning Center is open during the strike. Find additional child care referral resources.
- Students enrolled at Cascadia Tech Academy, operated by Evergreen Public Schools, also will not attend school due to the teachers’ union strike in that district.
Vancouver Public Schools and Vancouver Education Association will continue to bargain into the evening today and will be negotiating tomorrow, Aug. 31.
VPS is committed to continuing to negotiate in good faith as often and long as needed to bring an end to the strike and begin the school year. Our common goal is to provide a high-quality education to the students of Vancouver Public Schools.
See detailed information about the district’s budget and bargaining proposals.