When John Rogers Elementary School opened its doors in the fall of 1945, it was known as the Fourth Plain Village School. It was built to help relieve overcrowded Washington School. During its first year, the art teacher and older students painted a mural of Washington state during Gov. John Rogers’ lifetime. Rogers closed as an elementary school in 1992 and then housed several other schools during construction projects, as well as district offices.