Many student-athletes from around the district competed in state tournaments for winter 2019 sports and activities. Congratulations to the following medalists and top-10 placers!
(Pictured above from left: Coaches Chad Ortiz and Vernon Bryant, two-time state champ Allison Blaine and Athletic Director Patrice Woods)
Allison Blaine of Hudson’s Bay High School secured her second state championship in wrestling, competing in the 135 division. Last year, she became the first female wrestler from Bay ever to win a state title. Chad Ortiz and Vernon Bryant are her coaches.
In addition to Blaine, three more Vancouver students placed in the top 10:
- Girls’ state tournament, 155 division: Mariana Juarez-Trejo, Skyview High School, fifth; Tori Sharpe is her coach.
- Class 2A state tournament, 152 division: Atticus Kurtz, Columbia River High School, seventh; Jose Delmoral is his coach.
- Class 2A state tournament, 220 division: Dawson Lieurance, River, second; Jose Delmoral is his coach.
In the 1A/2A/3A gymnastics championships, Grace Gordon (pictured above) of Columbia River High School earned gold in the beam competition and seventh in bars. Alicia Green and Allison Sparrow are Gordon’s coaches.
In the Class 4A state championship, Anna Sugarman of Skyview High School placed third in bars. Alyssa Loomis is her coach.
Columbia River High School’s bowling team was named the 2A state academic champion. The team’s combined 3.8 GPA was the highest of all academic champions in bowling. Members are Quinn Allen, Maya Burnett, Jenna Chinn, Rileigh Chinn, Shelly Ferina, Abby Lindsey and Mika Munger. Logan Burnett is their coach.
The following individuals and teams also placed in the top 10:
- Class 1A/2A state tournament: Rileigh Chinn, Columbia River High School, third
- Class 3A state tournament: Rose Ugbinada, Fort Vancouver High School, ninth; Julie Pagel is her coach.
- Class 4A state tournament: Skyview High School was seventh in the team competition through the efforts of team members Jaelyn Sotelo, Athena Mantalas, McKenzie Sparano, Kira Glass, Alyssa Sutton, Nicole Hayes and Angelina Mantalas. Traci Chun, Eric Silvey and Jacki Gibbs are their coaches.
- The team from Columbia River High School placed sixth in the 2A/4A game day medium competition. Coached by Allie Bull, the team includes Robert Andrews, Brooke Baldwin, Quinn Borden, Samantha Brown, Vanessa Leavitt, Bailey Mackinnon, Iesha Moore, Kaitlyn Stemmet, Sasha Valentine, Talya Washington, Jessica Willison and Aspen Wirick.
Boys’ swimming and diving
Class 2A state meet
- Elijah Parish, Columbia River High School, 10th in 200-yard freestyle
- Simon Parish, River, seventh in 200-yard IM
- Liam Noftsker, River, eighth in 100-yard freestyle
- Sam Walker, River, ninth in 500-yard freestyle
- Liam Noftsker, Daniel Ishchuk, Simon Parish and Elijah Parish, River, eighth in 200-yard freestyle relay
- Simon Parish, Sam Walker, Reagan Karcher and Elijah Parish, River, eighth in 400-yard freestyle relay
- River’s team earned ninth place overall; Alyssa Manlow is the head coach.
Class 4A state meet
- Liam Johnson, competing for Skyview High School, was sixth in 100-yard butterfly and eighth in the 50-yard freestyle; Tamra Coplen is Skyview’s boys’ swimming coach.