Parents of incoming kindergartners can now apply for their child to enroll in the following programs for the 2018-19 school year:
- Mandarin Language Learning Program
- Spanish Language Learning Program
- Spanish/English Dual Language Program
Enrollment in these programs begins in kindergarten.
Applications are available online and in school offices. They are due by May 4. Each school also will hold an informational night for interested parents.
- Mandarin Language Learning Program info night: April 11 at 4 p.m. and May 3 at 4 p.m. at Franklin Elementary, 5206 Franklin St.
- Spanish Language Learning Program info night: April 12 at 4:30 p.m. (meeting in Spanish) and May 3 at 4:30 p.m. (meeting in English) at Harney Elementary, 3212 E. Evergreen Blvd.
- Spanish/English Dual Language Program: April 19 at 4 p.m. and May 1 at 5 p.m. at Anderson Elementary, 2215 NE 104th St.
Spanish Language Learning Program and Spanish/English Dual Language Program: What’s the difference?
Spanish Language Learning: At the kindergarten and first-grade levels, approximately 90 percent of instruction will be in Spanish and 10 percent will be in English. As students transition to higher grades at the elementary level, more of the instruction shifts to English, so that in the upper grades there will be 50-50 Spanish/English instruction.
Spanish/English Dual Language: At all levels, approximately 50 percent of the curriculum is taught in each language.