The following employees were selected for the February 2019 Excellence Award recognition. They were honored at the Feb. 26 school board meeting. Pictured from left:
- Jim Newman, building operator, Roosevelt Elementary
- Kim Hansen, paraeducator, Hazel Dell Elementary
- Lily Valencia, secretary, Harney Elementary
- Morgan Sherve, teacher, Discovery Middle School
- Veena Girod, math teacher, McLoughlin Middle School
The Excellence Award is given to five employees and/or small teams from October to May each school year. Nominations are open to staff, students, parents and community members. Nominees are selected for recognition by a committee of their peers.
To provide extra support to fourth- and fifth-graders, Kim helped organize an after-school tutoring program called Math Camp. She worked long hours to prepare an engaging math curriculum, plan schedules and design activities and games. As a result, the camp was as fun as it was educational for both the campers and their volunteer high school math buddies. Kim has proven over and over again, in her words and actions, that she puts students’ needs first.
Congratulations to these staff members! They join the many VPS employees who have received Excellence Awards since 2007.