The first Harney School was erected and named for Lt. General William S. Harney, commander of Vancouver Barracks. The building had four outside entrances, and girls and boys entered through different doors. In 1902 students raised money to buy a bell. Sometimes the bell was pulled too hard and would turn over. Then a youngster had to climb a ladder to the belfry and turn the bell around.