Vancouver Public Schools in June 2016 received nine awards from the National School Public Relations Association.
Golden Achievement Award
The accolades for VPS include NSPRA’s Golden Achievement Award, which recognizes exemplary public relations, communication, marketing and engagement efforts. VPS received a Golden Achievement Award for a finance campaign. VPS’ award was one of 128 Golden Achievement Awards given to districts across the U.S. and Canada, and one of five from Washington state.
Publications and Electronic Media Awards
VPS also nabbed eight of NSPRA’s 2016 Publications and Electronic Media Awards, which honor outstanding education publications, marketing/informational materials, video/TV/radio programs, social media and websites produced by public and private schools, districts and educational organizations. The Award of Excellence is the top award in each category, followed by Awards of Merit and honorable mentions.
VPS’ Publications and Electronic Media Awards include:
- Award of Excellence for the Hough Elementary School website
- Created and maintained by Tara Cox, communications specialist; Jenny Mowery, Hough teacher librarian; Sara Neal, digital media specialist; Pat Nuzzo, communications director; Amanda Richter, communications specialist; Emily Smith, Hough secretary; and Steve Vance, Hough principal
- Award of Excellence for “Fired up: Historic culinary feat ignites Fort Vancouver grad’s career”
- Written by Amanda Richter
- Award of Merit for the Fort Vancouver High School Center for International Studies branding/image package
- Designed by Tara Cox
- Award of Merit for Inside Vancouver Public Schools
- Created by Tara Cox, Sara Neal, Pat Nuzzo and Amanda Richter
- Award of Merit for “Cultivating Creative Schools”
- Written by Steve Webb, superintendent; Tom Hagley, chief of staff; Pat Nuzzo; and Amanda Richter
- Honorable mentions for three videos produced in-house by Nick Voll, television production supervisor, and Ian Southworth, video production specialist
- Quick Look web series
- Levy informational video
- Feedback: Project-based learning (hosted by Chief Digital Officer Mark Ray)
NSPRA is a nonprofit, professional association that provides school communications training, products and services to education leaders around the world. The association’s mission is to “advance education through responsible public relations and communication that leads to success for all students.”
Earlier this year, VPS also received a 2016 Excellence Award from the Washington state chapter of NSPRA for a finance publication. The publication was named the Best in Category among districts with more than 10,000 students.