Vancouver School of Arts and Academics was designated a 2017-19 Exemplary School by the Arts Schools Network. The honor is given to Arts Schools Network members that meet the principles of exemplary practice in strategically evaluating their purpose, operations and educational programs. VSAA’s selection was based on the results of an extensive self-study of its program.
Explained Principal Lori Rotherham, “Participating in the Exemplary School process gave us an opportunity to reflect on the work of our school based on criteria specifically established for an arts school environment.”
Highlights of the VSAA program include:
- School of choice for students in grades six through 12
- Provides a balanced and challenging academic program that is integrated in the arts
- Introduction of six art forms for all middle school students
- In-depth instruction of art forms for high school students
- Teachers as artists
- Guest artist instruction
- Performance and participation opportunities for students in a wide variety of competitions and shows
- Rigorous academic and college credit opportunities
The Arts Schools Network serves as a resource for arts educators. Members include colleges, universities, conservatories, school districts and organizations. VSAA will be recognized formally in October at the Arts Schools Network annual conference to be held in the Twin Cities, Minnesota.
“To be recognized as a national arts school is a great honor,” said Rotherham. “We look forward to opportunities for learning and growth for our school, our teachers and our students as a result of our connection with the Arts Schools Network.”