Kindergarten registrations are now being accepted in Vancouver Public Schools for the 2018-19 school year. Any child who will be 5 years old on or before Aug. 31, 2018, is eligible to enter kindergarten this fall.
Parents can find out which school their child will attend by using the district’s online boundary map or calling the elementary education office at 360-313-1010 or communications office at 360-313-1230.
Parents should bring proof of their child’s birth date, immunization records and emergency contact information to their neighborhood school to register their child.
School offices are open for kindergarten registration Monday through Friday from 8 a.m. to 3 p.m. Registration can take up to one hour. Forms can be obtained in school offices.
Full-day kindergarten is offered at all VPS elementary schools.
Applications also are being accepted for the district’s Mandarin and Spanish Language Learning Programs and the Spanish/English Dual Language Program. Enrollment in these programs begins in kindergarten.
Applications are available on the district’s website (see above links) and in school offices. They are due by May 4. Each school also will hold an informational night for interested parents.
- Mandarin Language Learning Program info night: April 11 at 4 p.m. and May 3 at 4 p.m. at Franklin Elementary, 5206 Franklin St.
- Spanish Language Learning Program info night: April 12 at 4:30 p.m. (meeting in Spanish) and May 3 at 4:30 p.m. (meeting in English) at Harney Elementary, 3212 E. Evergreen Blvd.
- Spanish/English Dual Language Program: April 19 at 4 p.m. and May 1 at 5 p.m. at Anderson Elementary, 2215 NE 104th St.
Registered students and their families will be invited to visit their elementary school, meet teachers and learn more about the kindergarten program. Visitations typically last about one hour. The following dates/times are subject to change. Parents should confirm with the school.
- Sarah J. Anderson, 2215 NE 104th St., 360-313-1500: May 17, 4 p.m.
- Chinook, 1900 NW Bliss Rd., 360-313-1600: June 1, 9 a.m. and 1 p.m.
- Eisenhower, 9201 NW 9th Ave., 360-313-1700: May 17, 10 a.m.
- Felida, 2700 NW 119th St., 360-313-1750: May 23, 8:45 a.m.
- Franklin, 5206 Franklin St., 360-313-1850: June 6, 9 a.m.
- Fruit Valley, 3410 Fruit Valley Rd., 360-313-1900: May 30, 9:30 a.m.
- Harney, 3212 E. Evergreen Blvd., 360-313-2000: June 5, 6 p.m.
- Hazel Dell, 511 NE Anderson Rd., 360-313-2050: May 24, 5:30 p.m.
- Hough, 1900 Daniels St., 360-313-2100: May 24, 9 a.m.
- King, 4801 Idaho St., 360-313-2200: May 31, 9 a.m.
- Lake Shore, 9300 NW 21st Ave., 360-313-2250: May 24, 1 p.m.
- Lincoln, 4200 Daniels St., 360-313-2300: June 7, 5:30 p.m.
- Marshall, 6400 MacArthur Blvd., 360-313-2400: May 31, 5 p.m.
- Minnehaha, 2800 NE 54th St., 360-313-2500: May 22, 5:30 p.m.
- Ogden, 8100 NE 28th St., 360-313-2550: May 23, 9 a.m., and May 24, 6 p.m.
- Roosevelt, 2921 Falk Rd., 360-313-2600: May 31, 6 p.m.
- Sacajawea, 700 NE 112th St., 360-313-2750: June 7, 4:30 p.m.
- Salmon Creek, 1601 NE 129th St., 360-313-2800: May 31, 1 p.m.
- Truman, 4505 NE 42nd Ave., 360-313-2900: May 31, 4 p.m.
- Walnut Grove, 6103 NE 72nd Ave., 360-313-3000: May 31, 4 p.m.
- Washington, 2908 S St., 360-313-3050: May 23, 1:30 p.m.
Parents also are strongly encouraged to sign up their child for Kindergarten Jump Start, a free school prep for incoming kindergarteners that takes place a few weeks before the school year begins. Students will meet teachers and other kindergartners; learn routines; become familiar with school surroundings; and participate in math, literacy and hands-on learning activities.
Jump Start will be offered at the following elementary schools:
- Monday through Friday, July 30 through Aug. 17, from 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.: Anderson, Fruit Valley, Harney, Hazel Dell, Hough, King, Lincoln, Marshall, Minnehaha, Ogden, Roosevelt, Sacajawea, Truman, Walnut Grove and Washington elementary schools
- Monday through Friday, Aug. 13-17, from 9 a.m. to 11:30 a.m.: Chinook, Eisenhower, Felida, Franklin, Lake Shore and Salmon Creek elementary schools
Parents should contact their child’s school to register.