Members of the Vancouver Public Schools board of directors are elected by the citizens of the community to four-year terms. The board sets the district’s goals and policies and is the governing body for adoption of school budgets.
Acting as secretary to the school board, the superintendent is responsible to them for implementing policies and operation of the schools.
Board meetings are accessible to all regardless of sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, disability or the use a dog guide or trained service animal. If you require special accommodations or an interpreter, please contact the superintendent’s office at 360-313-1200, before 4 p.m., at least four school days prior to the meeting date to allow sufficient time to make appropriate accommodations.
Annually, board members select a president and vice president. The president oversees meetings using parliamentary procedure. Meetings are open to the public and the media. Exceptions are executive sessions, which are limited by law to discussions that concern issues regarding legal matters, personnel or property, in which public disclosure would be damaging to individuals or the general welfare of the district.
Public comments regarding policy, finances or other responsibilities of the board are taken at a designated time during the board meeting. Sign-up sheets are available at the meeting for those who wish to address the board. Anyone who wants to address the board should sign up to speak prior to the start of the meeting. When called to speak, go to the podium and state your name and address into the microphone. Comments are limited to three minutes. The board will not make decisions regarding those comments during the meeting.
Concerns or issues regarding a specific school, teacher or student should always begin with district staff member(s) closest to the area of concern. The procedure is:
- Visit with the teacher or a guidance counselor .
- Visit with the principal (if a school-wide concern, this becomes step one).
- Contact one of the following district administrators:
- Elementary education • Debra Hale or Doug Hood • 360-313-1010
- Secondary education • Doug Hood or Chris Olsen • 360-313-1011
- Special education • Brenda Martinek • 360-313-1250
- Human resources • Kathy Everidge • 360-313-1080
- Nutrition services • Mari Ovens • 360-313-1190
- Transportation • Carole Pemberton • 360-313-4800
- Safety • Albert Alcantar • 360-313-1044
- Communications office • Pat Nuzzo • 360-313-1230
- In rare circumstances, the board may conduct hearings or appeals of administrative decisions. Most matters are expected to be resolved using the administrative structure described above.
- Attend a regular board meeting.
- Write to the board of directors. You may address the letter to individual board members or send one letter to the board as a whole.
Use this address: Vancouver School District #37, P.O. Box 8937,
Vancouver, WA 98668-8937
- Email board members at:
- Board members encourage citizen input. In general, anonymous information will not be acted upon.
- Concerns will be communicated to the superintendent, who will direct the administrative work necessary to address the issue.