Vancouver’s first brick schoolhouse, Arnada Elementary School, opened in 1910 on H Street between 25th Street and East Fourth Plain. The name was derived from the names of three Vancouver women: Margaret Ranns, Anna Eastham, and Ida Elwell, whose husband platted the Arnada Park Addition. The building was renovated in 1952-53 after the fire marshal had declared it unsafe. It continued as an elementary school for seven years, then as an annex to Shumway Junior High. It was demolished in 1966.