During the high-growth World War II years, MacArthur Elementary School was built south of the intersection of MacArthur Boulevard and Blandford Drive. Named in honor of General Douglas MacArthur, the school opened in the fall of 1943. As the population continued to soar, more space was added in 1943, 1945, and 1948. The 1957-58 school year was the last year of operation for MacArthur Elementary. It was torn down in 1959.